Started February 27, 2020 5:57 pm 1186 0
Stuffed Artichokes with Captain Mike’s
- 2 large fresh artichokes
- 4 tsp Captain Mike’s Original Blend (Use Extra Spicy if you like more heat)
- 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 cups grated Italian cheese mix (Parmesan, Romano, etc.)
- 4 garlic cloves – smashed, peeled, and minced
- Reserve 2 slices lemon to garnish before cooking
- Reserve olive oil to drizzle on top before cooking
Procedure (5 Steps)
- Mix up your stuffing in a large bowl and set aside.
- Reserve your olive oil and lemon slices.
- Use kitchen shears to trim edges of petals to remove spines.
- Use large sharp knife to cut entire top of artichoke off, leaving a flat surface.
- Use large sharp knife to trim stems leaving about an inch on the artichokes.
Smash & Roll
- Turn artichoke upside down and holding onto stem and base, smash a few times into the cutting board to loosen up the petals.
- Use a rolling motion while pressing the top of the artichoke onto the board to loosen petals.
Bloom & Stuff
- Bloom your artichoke using fingers to gently open the inner petals.
- Spoon stuffing into the center and into each petal. Tap artichoke to get stuffing to settle. You want stuffing to be compact and fill every petal.
- Lightly drizzle a little olive oil on tops of artichokes and add lemon slice to tops.
- Stand artichokes up in a large heavy pot with a lid.
- Add water to pot so level submerges stems and about an inch of the bottom of the artichokes (so about 2 – 2 ½ inches).
- Cover and simmer for about 1 ½ hours. Do not let water level drop too low. You want the very bottoms of the artichokes submerged.
- After 1 hour, start checking. Outer petal should come off with no effort and the “meat” on the leaf should be soft.
- When done, remove from heat, cool, remove from pot and serve.
How to Serve & Eat
- Stuffed artichokes are served family style, and can be enjoyed hot, cold, or reheated in the oven.
- Everyone at the table shares the food by pulling off stuffed petals in turn.
- Hold onto the trimmed end, put the rest in your mouth and scrape off the stuffing with the soft artichoke meat to create the perfect bite.
- Discard the scraped leaf and repeat.
- Once all petals are removed, the flower inside can be cleaned away to reveal the tasty and coveted artichoke heart.
Delicious on its own or dipped into Sabrina’s Spicy Mayo Dip with Captain Mike’s.