The Bulldog, a Lafitte Skiff built for Captain Mike, operated in the 1980s as the family shrimp boat in the marshes of Plaquemines Parish near Happy Jack.
Skiff: The Bulldog
The Captain Carroll
Constructed in 1946, the Captain Carroll was one of the few remaining old style wooden luggers left in existence, let alone still working, prior to Hurricane Katrina. The boat was constructed of old growth cypress in the hull, ribs, and timbers; treated pine decking and mahogany in the bulwarks. The Capt. Carroll was among the last of the round bottom, rounded stern boats built on a centuries old design that the Cajuns brought with them from Nova Scotia. The boat had its original pilot house, still used the “one man clutch” engaging a 2:1 twin disc gear to a 671 GM Diesel.
41′ long and 12′ wide
There was a galley with a butane stove and the pilot house was outfitted with full electronics, hydraulics, and two bunk beds. The boat was rigged with skimmer nets for catching shrimp. It could be re-rigged or de-rigged to accommodate any configuration such as: pleasure craft, smuggler, charter boat, work boat.
Prior to Hurricane Katrina, Captain Mike Hymel (owner/operator) could be contacted to rent the boat for parties, for research cruises or for use in film, commercial or marketing campaigns. Katrina took the boat.
Avery on the back deck, April 2005