Started February 27, 2020 6:24 pm 1185 0
Sabrina’s Hurricane Prep Potato Salad with Captain Mike’s
Adapted from my favorite potato salad made by
Paw Paw Harry and Grandma Claris
- 5 lbs. potatoes (reserve 3 potatoes from the bag)
- 9 eggs (I’m not messing around. This dish will be packed with protein, fats, and carbs to survive the storm experience. You can cut back on the eggs for normal use.)
- 1 TBSP Captain Mike’s Original Blend (Use Extra Spicy if you like more heat)
- 1.5 cups mayo
- 3 TBSP yellow mustard
- 1 TBSP Creole mustard
- ½ tsp Louisiana red hot sauce
- 1 tsp more Captain Mike’s Original Blend
- Reserve 3 potatoes for after the storm (can cook on a campfire or grill if power is lost)
- Peel and quarter the rest of the potatoes
- Boil potatoes until soft
- Spoon potatoes out of pot and break with fork into pieces. Some crumbling will occur. Set aside to cool.
- Boil the 9 eggs in a different pot for 9 minutes.
- Peel when cooled.
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites.
- Smash cooked yolks with a fork until crumbly.
- Dice egg whites and toss with cooked potatoes. Do not stir. You don’t want it gummy.
- Combine 1 TBSP Captain Mike’s Seasoning and smashed yolks with a fork.
- Add 3 TBSP yellow mustard.
- Add 1TBSP Creole mustard.
- Mix well with your fork.
- Add 1 cup mayo to the paste.
- Mix well. (Alternatively, you can use this as filling for deviled eggs.)
- Add dressing to potato and egg mixture in very large bowl. Mix gently with big spoon.
Taste and adjust with final dressing made with ½ cup mayo, 1 tsp Captain Mike’s Seasoning, and ½ tsp Louisiana red hot sauce. Use more or less mayo depending on your potatoes. It’s better to add more dressing at the end than to have too much at first.